Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Choices...Heart of Dakota vs Time 4 Learning

(*my mother in law hasn't stopped talking since she got up this morning and is terribly distracting so please forgive me for any odd mistakes in this post...sometimes I start typing what I hear instead of what I am wanting in my head...)

It's Wednesday and I am sitting here pouring over curriculum choices. Okay...I might also be on Pinterest and watching Being It On: All or Nothing...Shh! Say nothing about my choice in movies...that is not what this post is about. If it helps...I am following this up with Serenity.

Today the choices are:

Heart of Dakota : Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory

Pros : Christ centered and mom is very involved  Cons : Handwork
          Pretty Flexible                                               Time consuming and mom is very involved
          Complete Daily Plans                               Have to take a lot with us to school away from home
          Lily likes it                                                Lily doesn't love it...
          Complete with subjects                             Would have to add handwriting
          We are using HOD now                                And Typing...and math
          Easy to use and follow                             No transcripts and I have to "grade" everything

Time 4 Learning

Pros : It's all online                                                Cons : Most of the teaching is out of my hands
          Has printables                                                    $20 a month    
          Has a way to access and print transcripts           Might be too flexible (as in she wont do it)
          Records attendance                                             Will it be enough?
          Wouldn't have to add math or typing                  Have to add handwriting and bible
          Lily loved the demo lessons                               
          She could school from bed or on the go
          Highly recommended by other SN parents
         Mixed grades and go at her own pace

I love HOD and we are using the Little Hearts for His Glory. Well we were. Lily doesn't like the history and finds it very boring. I don't always have time to beef up the history with arts and crafts. I add videos from youtube often. The science in this guide is lacking but Charlotte Mason expects daily nature journaling. The issue with that is Lily can't always be outside. There are days she can't get out of bed. I know Science picks up more in the next guide but it's something I would probably still beef up.

Lily can't write for long. She usually lasts one page. With HOD we would have to teach her to type and I would have to tweak the lessons for her to complete on a computer. I did find a typing program that I like but I would have to figure out where in the lessons to add it. She is delayed with handwriting so that will be an issue no matter what. It hurts to write but I need her to at least be able to fill out a doctors form or a note to a teacher when her kids are in school. Write a grocery list. Those type things are important. Handwriting is important. But I know it hurts and I know it tires her out. With an online interactive program I wouldn't have to worry near as much and might be able to focus more on handwriting than with HOD.

Math is not my strong point. I have Dyscalculia. Numbers and I just don't get along. At all. When I took my GED after dropping out (I dropped out to go to college early) my math level was around 4/5th grade. I was in my first semester of 10th yet had a perfect GPA because I was at a private school that cared less. I didn't go to class. I was either working in the Kindergarten classroom or helping with the daycare children. In short...my mother paid for me to work. Anyway, my biggest fear with teaching is that I wont be able to teach math. HOD suggests Singapore which Lily actually likes but still involves a lot of teacher/parent participation. I still have to use my fingers to add sometimes. I am not ashamed. I have a learning disability. I am okay with this. But it makes teaching a little harder because I do lack a bit of confidence and there will come a time when she is more advanced than I am. Both of the girls will hopefully be better at math than me. Time 4 Learning (T4L) gives interactive lessons and games plus print offs that Lily can complete for extra practice. I really love that the pressure is off me but I can still help some.

I love that HOD is 100% Christ centered. That is important to us as a family. On their website they have this listed :
The "Learning Through History" part of the program gives a chronological overview of early American history from 1565 - 1860's. It emphasizes God's plan throughout history. A weekly Bible story wraps up each unit by focusing on an example of Godly character that corresponds with the history stories. The areas listed below are linked with the daily stories:
  • Bible Memory Work
  • Devotional Topics
  • Science Discovery
  • Art Projects
  • Geography Exploration
  • Timeline and History Activities
  • Poetry and Rhymes
  • Gross Motor Skills
  • Music
In the guide we are using now, it's the same with how they incorporate Christ into every subject just about. Lily did great with memorizing the verses for the most part. We weren't crazy on the devotionals but it was our first time trying something like that. Often, I would plan for us to do them as a family in the evening and then forget. Because I am human and we are real on this blog...yes I forgot to do the devotionals. Like I said above...Lily wasn't big on the Science lessons in the guide we have now. I have seen samples of the next guide. Honestly I can't say if she will like it or not. I know she is excited for geography and so am I. T4L touches on geography but HOD seems to go deeper into it. I love love love how HOD does their timeline and I know of members who have made files to print timelines for the wall. Another thing I was excited for is Poetry and Rhymes! In the Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory (BLHFHG) each unit will introduce a different classic poem and students can learn about the classic poets. Music isn't her favorite and to be honest we almost never listen to it. She loves music...but not what HOD recommends.

So here are my thoughts at this point...

Mixing the two.

T4L is perfect for core/basic subjects. And HOD has the bible, copywork, poetry and geography that I want. History...I don't know yet...they are both super different and I did read some reviews that T4L teaches evolution in some lessons so...

It might not work. T4L only charges by month so if it doesn't work out then we aren't out of a ton of money. HOD is on loan so if we decide it's not going to work then I give it back to my friend.

I have a feeling she will choose T4L over HOD but I do hope I can successfully mix the two.

Part of homeschooling is doing what is best for the child. Public school keeps her sick and she can't keep up because of missing so many days. Their OT and PT evaluations were on good days so their hands are tied in reference to how to help Lily. Her teacher saw it and did amazing with her. No amount of accommodations would have changed the inevitable. Lily does 100% better in homeschool.

This isn't really about me. So no matter how much I love HOD, if Lily isn't learning then what is the point

No comments:

Post a Comment